I’ve collected a few links and resources about the language in those last days. So this is just a small “flush” from my personal links and notes into an organized post.
- http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rust: Rosetta is a nice place to compare several programming languages, and to discover new ones too. However, I’ve found out that it is a poor place to learn about Rust in general, because most of the code in there is written in versions of Rust pre-1.0, which means that many of them don’t (won’t) compile with the current version family of Rust (1.x).
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9711367: a pretty typical Hacker News thread. Nice comments about Rust (despite of the topic being about Golang).
- http://arewewebyet.com/: well, Rust intends to be programmable for the Web a day. After all, Mozilla sponsors it…. I don’t expect Rust to be like Rails or Python in the future in the field of web programming; instead, it will become probably something along the lines of Go.
- http://chrismorgan.info/blog/rust-fizzbuzz.html: this article introduces a few features about the Rust compiler. It is a good read for a typical C++ programmer. Some things in the language won’t work as expected.
- https://graydon2.dreamwidth.org/214016.html: a glance about Rust evolution over the years.
- http://siciarz.net/24-days-rust-cargo-and-cratesio/: this guy did a series of posts about Rust, something like what I’m doing right now. However, this is from pre-1.0 — older versions of Rust .
- https://github.com/phildawes/racer: autocompletion for your favorite text editor. It is in beta stage and does not work with a simple ‘git clone’, so I’m skipping it for now. You can test ‘cargo’ (see the previous post) with this crate, for example, to search for it or to build a release from it.
- https://github.com/brson/multirust: a tool to manage multiple versions of rust. Ruby users might find this familiar (rbenv, rvm).
- https://github.com/kud1ing/awesome-rust: an [pretty tipical] awesome list of resources about Rust.
- : technically, it is not because of this fact; however, it contributes too.
- : also, I probably won’t write too many posts as him, as the objective is just to get an overview of the language.